Annual Conference is one of the major events on the Parents Victoria calendar.
- Annual Conference is the only time Parents Victoria makes or amends policy.
- Conference allows parents to explore some of the ‘big issues’ confronting education across the state and the nation.
- Each year there is a Conference theme which reflects one or more of the major challenges facing education generally or Parent Clubs in particular.
- The issues are covered in a variety of ways including keynote speakers and workshops.
- Conference is a unique opportunity for parents to meet and share experiences and ideas
- Listening to and participating in debate of policy items with parents from around the state.
Who comes to conference?
- Anyone can attend our Annual Conference.
- Conference costs are determined by the PV Board annually.
The date for the 2022 Conference is Monday 5 September.
More details coming soon.
Videos of presentations from the Conference are available below, as follows:
- Education Minister James Merlino’s Conference opening and announcement of the 2021 Joan Kirner Parent Participation Award.
- “Caring through Connection” – Elspeth Stephenson.
- “Collective Conversation on Consent” – Debbie Ollis, Chanel Contos, Katrina Marson.
Our 2021 Conference was officially opened by the Minister for Education, James Merlino. In a second (pre-recorded) video, Mr Merlino also announced the winners of
Presentations by Debbie Ollis, Chanel Contos and Katrina Marson.
The 2021 Parents Victoria Annual Report was presented at the Conference.
Our 2020 Conference theme was “Brave New World: Changes, challenges and opportunities for families and schools”
We thank Education Minister James Merlino for opening the conference and answering questions.
Mr Merlino presented the Joan Kirner Award and the ‘Parent Champion During Covid’ Award.
Joan Kirner Award
The Joan Kirner is an annual award given to a Member Parent Club, Parent, or Individual Member who has demonstrated, encouraged, or facilitated parent or family engagement in their school.
This year’s winner is Catherine Kirby (Sandringham College)
Parent Champion During Covid Award
The ‘Parent Champion During Covid’ is a new award for clubs and parents who have made a positive contribution to their school community during the ‘learning From home’ periods this year.
This year’s winner is Nikky Edwards (Croydon Hills Primary School)
Re-setting the foundations for good mental health for families post COVID
Presenter: Dr Stephen Carbone, Executive Director, Prevention United.
Family Engagement Officers in schools
Presenter: Dori Ellington, Community Engagement Officer at Whittington Primary School.
Connected Schools Communities: The Next School Improvement Frontier
Presenter: Adam Voigt, Director, Real Schools.