Who we are
Parents Victoria (PV) is a statewide democratic organisation representing parents of students in Victorian government schools.
Parents Victoria provides parents with a voice, presenting an organised parent perspective to State and Federal Governments, educational bureaucracies and institutions, community organisations and the media.
We are not affiliated with any political party. We pursue the broad goal of ensuring that education remains free, compulsory, secular and available to all, whichever party is in power.
Advancing parent-school partnerships
This brochure gives a quick overview of Parents Victoria’s core principles, activities and achievements.
It’s a handy summary of information about PV that you can print out or share around online.
Supporting Parent Clubs
We support school Parent Clubs in their vital work – providing a forum and a voice for parents in their children’s education. Parent Clubs help to create school communities where parents are engaged and active partners in their children’s schooling; where teachers and parents work together to create the best possible education for the chidlren. Parent Clubs also support schools in very practical ways, from classroom volunteer support to informational and social events and fundraising. Parents Victoria supports those clubs in practical ways too, with direct support, information and special events.
Parents Victoria is the State Affiliate of the Australian Council of State School Organisations (ACSSO).
ACSSO is the national voice of parents and children in Australia’s public schools and their school communities.
What we do
Parents Victoria works towards the advancement of education by supporting and representing parent clubs and parents in Victorian Government schools. This is done in a number of ways:
- Information and referral service by phone and email
- Up-to-date informative website and Facebook page
- Regular Parents Voice email newsletter
- Parent Club Toolkit
- Quality resources & information sessions – both face to face and online
- Annual conference.
- Support for parents requiring advocacy assistance when dealing with issues involving their children’s education. This may involve providing tools for self-advocacy or facilitating the mediation of the issue between the family and the school and/or the Department of Education
- Advancing the parent/school partnership – encouraging parent engagement, identifying barriers which may prevent participation and strategies to overcome these barriers
- Encouraging and supporting parents to volunteer at their child’s school and for schools to recognise and value their volunteers.
- Lobbying for improvements in school education including school facilities and resources, teacher education and curriculum so that students are able to achieve their potential in a safe and supportive learning environment
- Contributing to the development of new Government policy, programs and initiatives via consultation and feedback.
- Working in partnership with other organisations on common goals
- Affiliation with the Australian Council of State School Organisations.
Campaigns we support
The campaign is calling for funding for all primary schools to employ locally approved, First Nations Cultural Educators.
Parents Victoria supports the RACV’s call for all schools to have 40km/h speed limits on adjacent roads.
We call for affordable education for all and increased support for disadvantaged students and students with a disability…
Fair Funding Now is a coalition working together to speak up and demand fair funding of public schools.
Governance, strategy and reportingParents Victoria is an Incorporated Association, with an elected volunteer Board.
Annual ReportsOur Annual Report is presented at our Conference in October/November.
StrategyYou can read a more detailed description of our priorities, our goals and and how we plan to achieve them in our Strategy document.
ConstitutionOur Constitution was updated in October 2021 to allow for a broader and more inclusive membership.
- Members who have served on the Board for a minimum of 10 years
- A person who is considered to have made an exceptional contribution to Parents Victoria.
Here is a list of all Life Memberships that have been awarded.
Esther Harris (deceased)
Joan Kirner (deceased)
Janice McKenzie (deceased)