The issue of traffic congestion around schools at drop-off and pickup time has come into focus recently with parents receiving parking fines, and local residents complaining about blockages caused by parents double-parking around schools.
According to a recent article in the Herald-Sun:
- It is the view of Parents Victoria that the safety of school students is always top priority.
- PV has policies regarding transport and road safety – school buses, school crossings and school speed zones.
- PV ran a successful campaign in the 1990s to secure the 40km school speed zones and have supported RACV on recent campaigns to secure safer speed limits on adjacent roads.
The relevant authorities are working hard to address this situation and provide guidelines:
- VicRoads gives clear advice to drivers and pedestrians regarding their responsibilities and obligations.
- Some local councils do their own specific information (see this example).
- Schools also do their part and publish their own local instructions and expectations
(see this example).
- DET policy is clear about school crossings and onsite traffic management to schools.
Gail was also interviewed by ABC Radio on this issue. She spoke to Sammy J on the Breakfast show on Thursday 28 April.